Sunday, February 19, 2006

On Hiatus... yeah, right.

As it always is, if I say ANYTHING about dating or love that's even remotely close to absolute, I break my own rules.

Last night, despite the bitter cold, I decided to go to Athena's party in Williamsburg. Not even a plastic cup into my wine, two guys and a girl walk in. I instantly am attracted to this guy in a gray sweater with a button down. He smiles at me and takes the first opportunity to talk to me.

Now, I was on hiatus. I was trying to avoid going home with random guys, dating in general. But B was nice and we really hit it off. His friends were really cool when he asked me to go home with him to Boerum Hill (Williamsburg and Boerum Hill are both neighborhoods in Bklyn) I agreed. Mostly because he was a good kisser and the party had gotten a little hipster for me, as most of Athena's gatherings are in the first place. But also because it felt right.

I of course consulted Jackie first (calling her on the cell from the bathroom) and then I spent the night with him kissing and talking and once he calmed down and stopped calling me hot every five seconds we got along well. And I didn't mention an ex once except in passing.

So today we went to brunch with his friends (I looked like the Walk of Shame, but whatever). He walked me to the subway and got my number there.

When I got home, I was smiling. And not because he's a Yale graduate or a cello player both of which impress me, or that he writes for a major magazine, substantiated by a quick Google search; but because even if B never calls me ever again, I know I can get my groove back if I choose to.

Without having sex. And hearing I'm adorable, hot, and funny helps too. Of course, I'm afraid. But I'm brave, too.

2 things that I love about NYC: you can find the most amazing people at random times and discover you're equally as amazing; and you can do the walk of shame past Heath Ledger & Michelle Williams' apartment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - the book will be out in a couple of weeks - tell me where I should send your copy...

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »