Sunday, September 17, 2006

Chuck Klosterman Is Right

Where, exactly, did this weekend go? Friday night I was bored, so I went out on an unexpected Craiglist date that lasted until Saturday morning. (Apparently, according to Steve (Lori's fiancee) I need to stop taking men home if I want them to call me. I'm going to try that, I really am.)

Then Saturday went by in a blur after a friend called. She had an argument with her boyfriend and didn't know if this was the end, or if it's just really a huge fight. So I stayed with her, figuring things out for a long time. We sat at Columbus Circle for easily two hours, just talking about our lives.

It's funny, but I never realized HOW over Todd I am until I started talking to her about how long I wasn't myself, how long I grieved for a relationship that really wasn't there. She had her own little breakthrough last night, so hopefully she won't be stuck as long as I was. But I'll be there because she was there for me.

All women want a guy that will come after them if they walk away crying or upset. We all want someone to rescue us---but there is no Robin Hood, no John Cusack standing in their parents' yard with a boombox. For me there is only a eighteen year old boy who drove a four-wheeler ten miles to see me. And nearly eight years later, I wonder why I didn't believe in that.

Now I do, but now it's too late. In SEX DRUGS AND COCOA PUFFS, Chuck Klosterman was right---our generation always wants John Cusack in romantic relationships.

Unfortunately, while we're holding SAY ANYTHING in such high esteem, we don't realize when our version of The Geek from SIXTEEN CANDLES or our personal Duckie from PRETTY IN PINK is sitting right next to us.

1 comment:

Jon-Marc McDonald said...

Oh, anonymous, he/she/it made an appearence on my blog.

But I have been reading your blog for months and I love it.