Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I Like Redemption.....

Thanks to the rain last week, I have been reading ALOT of books. Probably at least 3 or 4 since last Friday. My last book was THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES by Sue Monk Kidd--a good book that substantiates my claim that a large number of bestselling fiction (that's not a mystery or a thriller) is either a coming-of-age story and/or a novel that tells a tale of redemption.

I like redemption. It reminds me of how human everyone can be, and I think it reminds readers that their fuck-ups are probably not as bad as they possibly could be (at least I didn't accidentally shoot my mother like Lily in BEES, for example).

But as I listen to Gladys Knight and the Pips, debating whether or not two of my close friends are just busy or if they're mad at me (could it be paranoia, or is it real?) I am struck by the realization that redemption, and VALIDATION is really what everyone's looking for in life.

I get validated by people liking me, wanting to spend time with me. And while that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's not good either. I've spent most of my adult life examining the causes of my major hangup, but now I think its time to figure out a solution.

So, in my arsenal, two recent bestsellers: THE MEMORY KEEPER'S DAUGHTER by Kim Edwards and THE HISTORY OF LOVE by Nicole Krauss. MEMORY KEEPER even includes "redemptive" in its back cover copy.

The last piece is ME vs ME, a chick lit novel about a girl who has to choose between a comfortable life at home and a dream job in the big city. Hmmm...

Navel-gazing much, Meg?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I have to admit that I'm jealous about your ability to read so many books in a week (although I suppose it's necessary in your profession). I read a lot more slowly than I used to, but I think that may be more of a time thing than anything else (I have to find time in my day to read that isn't on the train).

I just finished To Feel Stuff by Andrea Seigel, which was wonderfully bizarre, and I'm about to start reading Special Topics in Calamity Physics, which has gotten enthusiastic reviews. I haven't cracked it open since I brought it home from the library, though.

Do you think that so many writers and publishers stick to the 4 descriptors you've mentioned because "romance" has become such a maligned term?