Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Flyover States

My best friends primarily live in what is deemed by some New Yorkers as "the flyover states". Often, I find myself defending the middle part of the country to my colleagues and friends. So when I finally succumbed to watching Studio 360 on Monday night, I cheered out loud when John Goodman, playing a small town judge in Nevada on the show, said:

"Please stop thinking that everyone that lives between Fifth Avenue and the Hollywood Bowl stepped out of the cast of Hee Haw."

Yet another reason to love Aaron Sorkin (Sports Night being #1 and West Wing being #2), but take in context: that day, in a particularly dead day at work, I saw not only a video about a DNR guy in Wisconsin claiming to have seen a Bigfoot but also one of a deer accidentally entering a Target store. Terrific job reporting the hard-hitting news courtesy of CNN (just click on "more offbeat video" to see these vids.

And when I called Poof to celebrate the Sorkin line (he's in the flyover state of WI) he was skinning a deer for his new side job as a taxidermist. Yep, a taxidermist.

So as much as I love to defend my home state of Wisconsin (we're more than just cheese, cows and the Packers after all), sometimes it does need some help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheese, yum........

Kiddo78 said...

FUNNY! I love this post. To those who call we Midwesterners the "Fly Over States," here's a piece of advice: Keep flying. You can still defend your home state (!), but no denying we probably have a lot more redneck-types than Manhattan! But people don't pee on the sidewalk at noon here either, so I guess it's give & take.