Saturday, November 25, 2006

A guilty confession

I hate tourists. Most New Yorkers disdain the appliqued-sweater-clad masses that invade our city from the flyover states but I truly hate them. I actually HIT one on purpose the other day who had done absolutely nothing.

I was super crabby. I spent three hours with Iseult on a Circle Line cruise that was cool but filled to the brim with tourists who had both fat children and a complete lack of knowledge about the city that wasn't in the typical tourist grid that travels between 8th and Park on the blocks between 40th and 50th street. Then we went to Top of the Rock, which was beautiful but had Empire State Bldg-like queues and general lack of organization, complete with screaming children. We did get some beautiful pictures, and I have to say that I really thought it was better than the Empire.

Still, though, no one will ever be able to drag me there again. So a super crabby Meg ensued and hit a fat and obnoxious person blocking her way on 49th & 5th. She called me a bitch and I got a feeling of satisfaction at elbowing her for no good reason other than that she was standing in the middle of the sidewalk, blocking the crowd's way. I had to apologize to Iseult rather than the lady that I had been such a bitch for at least two hours....

And then we went into a store and I was cheered by shopping and realizing that I wasn't a large at Zara but a medium.

And then we proceeded to get very drunk for Iseult's bday with a guy from Illinois that I would have hit on had I not had Pough and a bunch of Brits that didn't seem to care that Iseult and I have boyfriends. All good fun, I swear!

So now we've become popular---tea with Sharon at the Tea Lounge and then I get to see Pough, and perhaps even my favorite couple, Mikey & Mishy.

AND I have Monday off! So absolutely no complaints from this girl---especially since we'll be in Bklyn all day and nowhere near the dreaded tourist grid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really hit someone?

Tourists are everywhere around our work! They're sooooo slow and annoying!!