Saturday, December 30, 2006

Playing Catchup

A short summary of what's happened over the past fifteen days:

1) I handed in my thesis and my final, and received a 4.0 at Pace as the grand award. Although I'll have a diploma showing my masters sometime this month, I'm actually more excited about getting my tuition reimbursement money.

2) NO MORE DRAMA is my new favorite song cuz my roommate (with some coaxing) moved out the weekend before last. I was so relieved when she was gone. When my new roomie gets her shit unpacked and we can redecorate with RENT and Bing Crosby posters, I'll be completely satisfied with the bad-vibe cleansing of the apartment.

3) I went home to Wisconsin and I: drove on a freeway turned ice rink; used the outhouse because a snowstorm knocked out the power; drank coffee with Poofy; drove my rental car about 700 miles; and enjoyed $1.75 drinks with Iseult, Ryan and his friend Brent and a truly dumb girl named Stacey.

4) I love my family, but I woke up in Wisconsin the day before I was supposed to leave thinking, "I want to go home." Even though I've lived here for over 2 years, I never felt that way before. Way to go me.


5) I saw DREAMGIRLS last night with Sharon & Jill at the Ziegfield--Ihighly reccomend both the movie and that particular theatre, since the ambiance is a perfect compliment.

Meg's Review of Dreamgirls: Unlike RENT, I didn't get the feeling of "I know these people" but instead I got chills from the geniune vocal performances, the civil rights angle in making the Dreams huge and the "can't they get sued for copyright infringement?" amazement for the musical totally knocking off Motown, and in particular, the Jackson Five.

Jamie Foxx made me forget he was Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy really can sing and this is the perfect part for him to make us forget about "Party all the time." But for me, the whole movie is about the ladies:

For all of her buzz, Jennifer Hudson really is terrific. But, unlike a lot of people, I LOVED Beyonce in this movie. She is a true talent: she proves she can actually act and tone down her amazing pipes. Simply put, when Deena stands up for herself, you love her. Although I loved Beyonce and Jennifer, my ultimate favorite was Anika Noni Rose---cute, spunky and a bystander to the drama, just like me (except I don't fuck Eddie Murphy). Definitely a must-see movie.

6) Work is up in the air. One of my editors is leaving and offered to take me with her. I'm not sure what to do, but I have to wait for the current editor-in-chief to tell me what opportunities I'll have in my current position. I've gone back and forth several times, almost making up my mind and then changing it right back. I drove myself nuts until I realized that I'm the luckiest mother fucker because I have TWO jobs to choose from. Duh!

So that's the summary. I have lots of stories, but this one remained at the top of my list so here's your comedic closing to a pretty long post:

My old roommate is still clearing some things out of our apartment. So she came in over the time I was gone and Pough was staying there, watching Jasper The Cat. I told him he could make himself at home.

Roommate calls me and says: "He really made himself at home. You'll freak when you see it."

I think she's being dramatic, so I shrug it off, "It's just a playstation.."

Then I get home to discover not only the playstation (on the floor!) but also: mismatched shoes strewn about the living room, half-eaten takeout in the fridge, laundry in a shopping bag in my bedroom, a partially made bed, and male toiletries on a desk in my room (including athlete's foot powder!).

I had a heart attack.

Even though I was exhausted, I ran around cleaning up and making the apartment look like a girl's again. The shoes got organized, the takeout was thrown away, the laundry was put next to my hamper, the bed was made, and I put the toiletries in his bag. Then I breathed easy and made myself comfy watching Tyra to get some estrogen back in the apartment.

Being the big mouth that I am, I told Pough about my freak out except I made it sound casual. He seemed concerned, and the next night he asked me if I wanted his set of keys back. "Nah," I said, "your apartment is closer than Sharon or Michelle, which is who I would give them to."

The commitment freak just gave a bit of her life away. But it's only fair--he cleaned up Jasper's poo for five days, after all. And got me JERSEY BOYS tickets for tomorrow.

4 comments:

ldbug said...

Sounds like an interesting holiday! sorry about the loss of power thing!

Enjoy the show, I heard it's good!

Anonymous said...

While nutraceutical and pharmaceutical content in the baseline algae strain is very small, current market values for these products are extremely high.

Many of these focus on treating various types of cancer, as well as genetic
disorders. coli, is used to produce insulin and other medicine, in
human form.

Here is my webpage :: Biotechnology and Bioengineering

Anonymous said...

Bring your favorite magazines to the i - Phone with an i - Phone app.
Talking of the walking dead, congratulations to Hugh
Hefner, who is getting married at age 84 to 24-year-old
beauty Crystal Harris. He covers gossip on celebrities, actors
and musicians.

My web-site geosocial.herobo.com

Clipping Path said...

I'm personally a big fan of Rejection at Rockefeller Center blog. Thanks for sharing this post.