Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Thank God for David Sedaris

In August, I was on vacation in Wisconsin, camping in my favorite spot (Otter Lake) curled up reading David Sedaris' NAKED. And about halfway through, I stopped.

I wasn't laughing.

If you've ever read Sedaris you know he, like his sister Amy, is hilarious. And I was so out of it that I didn't laugh. Couldn't laugh. I realized that I had gone so far into a depression that it was changing my entire outlook. I made myself give up the ghost of Todd and whatever it was that was holding me down the next day.

Last night, I was reading Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, and started laughing so hard I almost made myself choke. When I realized what had happened, I stopped reading and sent up a prayer.

"I'm back. I'm really back. Thank you. And thank God for David Sedaris."

I would truly be flattering myself if I thought this had any impact on Mr. Sedaris whatsoever, but like so many people, I love reading his words about his family and hope that someday I would be able to be a writer that's nearly half as funny about my own family (who will probably disdain me for writing their stories equally as much).

I want to thank all my friends for putting up with me. I have the best friends in the world here in the Big Apple, where I'm making even dreams I didn't know I had come true. Now they can bitch and moan to each other about how domestic and sappy I've become....

All my friends back in the Midwest know this Meg, so if you miss her call me. I miss you all too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It feels great to laugh! I'm glad you're there:-)