Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Million Dollar Question

My semi-drunk friend Justin on IM says to me:
Justin says:
so your this succsessful new york publisher chick
Meg says:
yeah for the time being
Justin says:
lol
Justin says:
thats cool though
Justin says:
are you happy?
And I decide, despite my whining to the contrary about:
1. My job being far too much work without a raise (come on, I'm doing two people's jobs and getting paid for one! As my little bro would say, that's no fair!)
2. Only having a couple friends in the city (although that IS growing and hopefully will continue to grow)
3. Having to clean up after my roommate who leaves food out and then freaks when we have one cockroach (but who's not that bad 70% of the time)
4. Being broke until financial aid and probably even after that
and
5. What else? Todd.. even though that's lessened in the past few weeks -has anyone even NOTICED my progress?
That I shockingly am pretty darned happy with myself.
And of all the non-promotion promotions, all the boyfriends and VH1 dates and cool Williamsburg apartments, and neato Korean/Jewish friends, hipster parties with burlesque dancers, reminicent discussions of SWEET VALLEY HIGH books, late-night discussions with Jackie about boob stretching (like stretching your ears, only with nipples - look it up in NEW YORK Magazine), early nights staring at Todd/James/Aaron's back.... and the late nights where I stay up way too late reading backlist, or end up puking on the subway, or being stared at on the street, or watching a blind woman navigate the A train and refuse to sit down, while I, a well-bodied 24 year old is because she hates standing for more than 3 stops....
is all part of why I'm happy.
Because frankly, I wouldn't be me without this city, and my boss(es), and Todd (breakups or not), and my friends (both old and new) and my family, and everything else that happens to me every single day. And I thank God/Allah/Jesus/Jehovah/Yahweh every day (or at least every Sunday: EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION is a good check in with the Lord about your blessings) for what I have. And for what is yet to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will add a new one:

" ..and because a very nice English guy arrives for a stay in New York in three weeks time...."

J.

Kiddo78 said...

Hey, I'm glad someone counts their blessings instead of constantly thinking about how life could be better...Are you officially officially done with Todd now??

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
» »