Saturday, June 24, 2006

A Kind Word

I think I actually did a mitzvoh last night---a sort of pity/interested in a weird sort of way take-home with a 31 year old North Dakotan. I know I should back up.

I went out to Dolly's half birthday party last night in the Village and met two guys: Guy A, who I incorrectly assumed was gay and correctly assumed was Dolly's coworker; and Guy B who I knew I had met before (at the blogger event a few months ago). I started flirting with Guy B but he totally missed the signs. I talked with Guy A pretty extensively, but since I thought was gay I didn't give it much thought.

So Guy A asked for my number and then said, you didn't think I was gay did you? So now I'm going out with him tonight, despite that I kissed Guy B in the cab on the way to the second bar (the karaoke bar!) AND proceeded to take him home after I sang a couple songs.

And now its been rainy the whole day, and I'm tired but I really do want to go out tonight. Maybe not on the east side, but still. It's TS's birthday, so I should go... but I wondered this morning about Guy B. It wasn't a pity take-home, but it wasn't because I was crazy about him either. It dawned on me while watching MATCHPOINT and SHOPGIRL today---it was a kind gesture. The guy hadn't gotten any in 2 years. Not that I gave him any, but there was nakedness involved. And it didn't hurt that he reminded me of guys at home that get overlooked by girls. So I took him home. (Plus, I didn't want to go dancing with Guy B.)

So tonight, I'm going to a gay friend's birthday party that will probably be filled with fag-hag type girls with a guy who attended yoga today, said "it was a bad day for jew hair" on the voicemail he left, and asked me if I liked "jungle house, not to be confused with..." (at that point I tuned out and nodded attentively).

This, among other experiences, has taught me that if I want a plethora of guy attention, all I need to do is say I'm not sure if I should date. Out loud.

No comments: