Monday, March 12, 2007

207 Facts in 2007: Part Deux & Tres

#2:
My two favorite genres of music: country and hip-hop.

Although I'm fully aware that these two musical genres couldn't be farther apart, both culturally and musically, they are my two ultimate favorites. I miss CMT for lots of reasons (no country stations here to keep up on new music and industry goings ons) but especially for Crossroads. For those not familiar, Crossroads pairs pop artists with country artists, and both artists sing each other's hits. John Mayer's renditions of Brad Paisley songs are my favorites, although the Sheryl Crow/Wilie Nelson pairing was pretty awesome too.

If I was the producer of that show, I'd invite Ludacris to redo some Montgomery Gentry songs; Martina McBride or Sara Evans would kick ass on the female vocal for Ludacris' hit right now, "Runaway Love," which Mary J. Blige sings (and who I also adore). Although I would kill to see Sean Combs/Puff Daddy/P. Diddy in the same room as George Strait.

Imaginary Crossroads pairings aside, I think what draws me to hip hop and country is the same. Despite their differences, hip-hop and country were both spawned out of an uniquely American experience and subculture that I identify with. Growing up in the Midwest with bluegrass musicians as my grandparents, country is in my blood. But since moving to NYC, I've seen a side of Black and Hispanic America that most (white) people don't get to see, thanks to living in Washington Heights and working on black books.

I strongly believe that if anyone digs the beats of Mary J or the steel guitar of Sawyer Brown that they, too, are part of that community. Sometimes I wish people would be more open minded to both of these genres, since they have so much insight to offer past the gang-banging and hillbilly stereotypes. If you feel like giving country a try, listen to KQ98's stream. KQ98 played in my college town and is the best country station I've ever heard. (And my friend Alison works there!)

#3:
As of today, I have 5,577 songs in Itunes and on my Ipod. It's getting to the point where I can't make a new playlist without giving my self a headache and making my ass hurt from sitting on this desk chair too long. But somehow, I still feel out of touch with new music.

No comments: