Monday, March 05, 2007

Inspired by Genius and the Ghetto Revival

So I'm blatantly copying. Jess can sue me if he wants, but here begins:

207 Facts in 2007:

#1: I love movies that have anything to do with free speech and disenfranchised and/or disenchanted youth. Songs are preferable, but not mandatory. An example is my living room wall. I spent over $200 to transform our red accent wall into a personal shrine: The Breakfast Club, Footloose and Rent. And even I'm a little bashful to say that Footloose is the biggest. Kevin Bacon is nearly as big as me.

When Pough watched FOOTLOOSE with me for the very first time (at the age of 25! Can you believe it?) I got teary eyed at the school board meeting like I always do, and he said, "I told you that I thought you'd cry" and I replied, "It's about free speech, damnit!"

Thus, it should not be all that uncommon that the newest add to movies I love is FREEDOM WRITERS. I have to admit that I purposely pirated it so I could sob in the privacy of my own bedroom rather than give myself a sinus infection by holding it back in the theatre.

I'm not sure why, but if you involve free speech in a movie, TV show or a book I'm a big fan. If you include gangbangers or life in the urban ghetto, I'm also there. The combination is simply catnip for the Megster. Probably also the reason I love when hip-hop artists remake 80s songs: combine the cheese and the streets and I'm down, bitch!

3 comments:

ldbug said...

I'd never seen footlose until just this weekend. We saw the dancing part...uhhhhhh what? dancing turned gymnastics and by the end he's flying? I laughed pretty hard at it.

I guess I'll have to watch the whole thing to get the free speech bit!

Glamorous Redneck said...

My hubs has still never seen the entire movie! I've been reciting Footloose since I was 5! It's certainly in my top ten fave movies. Ever.

Anonymous said...

That's it! I'm suing! ;)

Actually, I stole the idea from someone else, so I don't think its actionable.