Sunday, March 04, 2007

Newly Improved & With Discussion of Fergie

Just yesterday, I had decided to just let the blog sit for a while, post-free. But tonight I spent a little time reading the utterly fab blogs of my friends, including this one about Avril Lavigne, and I was struck by inspiration. After all, I make random commentary to my friends ALL THE TIME. So this site just needs retooling. And here is the brand new ROCK CENTER MEG, complete with bitter culture-related complaints.

Culture Complaint #1: Fergie, contrary to common belief, you are not cool, and nor are you black.

I don't know if anyone else remembers Kids Incorporated, but ahem, I do. I love the show so much to this day that I have the theme song on my Ipod, and can recite it from memory. It launched the careers of Jennifer Love Hewitt and that guy that played Marisa's abusive Chino-based boyfriend on the OC.


It also featured (For several years) a blond with poufy hair and skirts named Stacy Ferguson, who doesn't look familiar now but soon will:

Quite a striking similarity, wouldn't you say? Now, don't get me wrong. The chick's got a killer body (she certainly did away with the knobby knees) and an even better voice. And she did save the Black Eyed Peas from college station hell. But every time I hear "Fergalicious" in a bar, I want to start singing the damn Kids Incorporated theme song and remind her that a lot of spray-tan and a beat box on your song about yourself does not a hip-hop artist make. Perhaps she should have stuck with singing the hook for the Peas.
Unlike Amanda Bynes & Hilary Duff, former Disney-ers who are proud to be Caucasian, Fergie not only decided to keep a blatantly copied nickname (which rightfully belongs to one of the coolest ladies in Britain) but also to sing about it.

Certainly, I believe that Non POC (people of color) folks CAN cross over into the POC (people of color) areas of hip-hop and R&B, and vice versa. I'd be a hypocrtical reader/editor/fan of all things Mary J. Blige and Beyonce if I said that we as a society should be multiculti and cross racial and socioeconomic boundaries, etc. But I am a strong believer in respecting subcultures.

We white folks should take heed and respect traditionally black music by following the path that Justin Timberlake and Lily Allen have forged for us---and stay far, far away from the Fergie/Vanilla Ice method of becoming a celebrity.
Yet again, I'm just a chick from Wisconsin. What do I know? I listen to hip-hop covers of "She's Like the Wind" for god's sake. If that's not crossing some boundaries, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

ldbug said...

Like the new look!