Monday, March 26, 2007

The Victory & The Defeat

So, if you don't already know, Winona State lost on Saturday, ending an amazing winning streak that lasted over 2 seasons (14 months), the longest in NCAA Division II history. WSU literally lost at the buzzer, which was devastating and depressing.

As my friends & I were walking back to the bar where all the WSU'ers congregated before the game, we were all sullen (Even the drunk undergrad students behind us following us like we were Pied Pipers) and then someone yelled, "We'll do it next year!" and everyone cheered and was relatively merry.

But what Reid and I did succeed in was drinking everyone else under the table. Friday night we went out so hard that Pough couldn't get out of bed the next day when Reid & I got up at 5am and left for Massachusetts. There were shots involved, though, which helps to excuse Pough's demise.

By 11am on Saturday, we were drinking again, this time with Reid's friends Heather & Lee. We had five beers each before the game and then took a hiatus during the game (they didn't sell beer). Then we went back to the bar for six more before going back to the hotel to change to go out in Springfield for the night.

When we went back to the hotel, Lee went down and stayed there instead of going out. Then we went to the Salty Dog Saloon where Heather, Reid and I danced, Reid got spanked with a giant paddle on top of the bar (apparently that's how they roll in Springfield) and I rode a mechanical bull. The next morning, Heather was so sick she couldn't eat breakfast.

But through all this, Reid and I fought hangovers, dehydration and the occasional shot to survive the weekend. Although we made it, I can't lift my right arm over my shoulder (apparently because of the bull) and I lost my voice screaming at various drinking establishments. But with three returning starters next season, Winona will probably be heading to Springfield again next March.

And Reid, Heather, Lee and I will dutifully don our purple shirts in order to massively binge drink and drive three hundred miles to cheer on our alma mater---when we could have been cheering from the couch. But that's not nearly as fun.

Pictures soon!

1 comment:

ldbug said...

Ahh to be young and with energy;-)

Sounds like a great weekend!!