Monday, April 30, 2007

Generation X or Y?

Today while reading a marketing survey for work that revealed American trends, I wanted to see if I was classified as part of Generation X or Generation Y. Born in 1981, I discovered via this wikipedia entry that I was part of the late-wave Generation X or part of the early Generation Y.

I definitely find myself more in line with the thoughts of Generation X; I easily relate to people older than me, including some people that are easily ten years older than me (Mishy is a great example). But I'm dating a barely Generation Y-er (sitting on his bed and typing on his computer) and most of my direct colleagues at work are Generation Y, since they were born during or after 1982.

I also find it immensely amusing that people born during 1978-1981 are in question; we're definitely in the middle of Generation X and Generation Y. We're not on Facebook, we do Myspace but we remember a time with land line phones (rotary, even) and before the Internet. I think we will be the most interesting result of the young people of "my generation"---both of them, from people who identify with "Singles" to those who would rather watch "Napoleon Dynamite".

Now I'll get back to listening to the Mets rally on the radio and watching Pough clean his room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah...I'd never seen the "official" cutoff dates before. I was born in 1977, so I guess that makes me a definite Gen-Xer. I get the feeling, though, I relate much better to people born in Generation Y than folks from early Generation X (i.e. the mid-1960s).

Glamorous Redneck said...

I hadn't ever seen us 80's kids associated with Gen X. And I was always so upset because I am so NOT a Gen y-er. I look at my brother (who is the textbook definition of a Y) and I just want to scream "I'm NOT like you!" So, am very happy to see that I qualify as an X-er.

ldbug said...

I'm an in-betweener too