Friday, October 27, 2006

An Open Letter to my NPR neighbors

I wake up at approximately 7am every morning, but I don't need your alarm, set to NPR loud enough to hear but not loud enough so I can hear news while I'm lying in bed. Now, I get up and make noise and turn the radio up pretty loud from about 7-8am while I'm getting ready.

But last weekend, when I was up waiting for my cat to be delivered on Saturday at the ungodly weekend hour of 7am, I couldn't excuse your NPR alarm going off for an hour with the murmurs of Weekend Edition seeping through your floor and my ceiling. Especially since I can't understand the news.

So between you stompers and the people in the basement apartment next door (who share an air shaft with our building) who insist on bringing their yippie yappie dogs outside at 6:30am with their small children yelping in chorus-type fashion every morning AND who installed a series of wind chimes which we can hear with closed windows and the TV on, I decided that I am not going to bang on the ceiling every morning for a week (because then I'd have to turn down my radio) or scream "People are sleeping, you motherfucking idiots! No one has WIND CHIMES in the city!" (Because the kids and the dogs, despite my best efforts, really are cute. And because the little family did a good job of cleaning up their half of the air shaft.)

So instead I'll sulk in my apartment, cursing the wind chimes and struggling to hear Morning Edition through parque floors.

3 comments:

ldbug said...

Vandalism. It's the only way to destroy the wind-chimes.

Sharon said...

Actually, I'd paste this into a word document and slip it under their door.

As for the wind chimes, scissors are a wonderful cure.

B said...

hmmm...maybe i can fashion this argument towards my neighbors who I could hear going at it at four in the morning at least five times a week...