Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Ah... Barenaked Ladies

Proving that I'm not as hopelessly broken as the LAST time Todd tried to dump me:

Then: I listened to dopey Alison Krauss/Michelle Branch/Journey songs
Now: I listen to Barenaked Ladies.

From Maybe Katie:
Do you know everyone you ever swore you'd love for life
I don't know them anymore
I know their names
I'd recognize them on the street and I don't love them

And Shoebox:
Did somebody tell you
This is how it's supposed to be?
Or did you just find it
And you don't want any more from me?
Was it something I said, or was it something you read
That's making me think that I should never have come here I
can offer you lies, I can tell you good-bye.
I can tell you I'm sorry, But I can't tell you the truth, dear
And what if I could -- would it do any good?
You'll still never get to see the contents of my shoe box (shoe boxxx)
Shoe box of lies

And in an epiphany listening to the Ipod thinking about Todd, I realized that this song was no longer about me and my lovers but instead him, talking to me.... so true... this is my new anthem (other than that hateful song by Eamon...)

The bravest thing I've ever done
Was to run away and hide
But not this time, not this time
And the weakest thing I've ever done
Was to stay right by your side
Just like this time, and every time I couldn't tell you
I was happy when you were gone
So I lied and said that I missed you when we were apart
I couldn't tell you, so I had to lead you on
But I didn't mean to break your heart
And if I always seem distracted
Like my minds somewhere else
That's because it's true, yes it's true it's this stupid pride that makes me feel
Like I have to follow through
Even half-assedly, loving you
Why must I always speak in terms of cowardice?
When I guess I should have just come out and told you right from the start
Why must I always tell you all I want is this?
I guess 'cause I didn't want to break your heart

And someday, I'll forgive him for half-assedly loving me. Not today though.