Monday, June 27, 2005

And here's the pitch.....

A swing and a miss.

But at least I'm back in the game!!!

And now you're thinking - wait a second, Meg. Back that shit up. What's going on?

Last weekend, I decided to hit up the bars and see if my cute, size 10 behind still had it, and if my smile still had it, and well, you get the idea.


Friday night was a bust - we went out with Jackie's friends, and I half-heartedly pursued the Seth Cohen franchise again... but he ended up swapping spit with one of Lisa's visiting friends from Omaha. (I know, I know...)

Either way.. Mimi and her friend Jamie were out, so I talked to them since J was busy with her friends. They gave us a few looks when we went to Doc Hollidays and played Hank Williams. (Mind you, Mimi & Jamie are Rican... I don't think they've ever heard a bunch of white people party to "The Gambler" before.)

Anyway, I was certain Saturday was going to be a bust as well. I got my butt up and went to Central Park, and worked out in the 90 degree heat until I thought I was going to pass out - but it felt really good.... and then I went home and watched two movies (I also watched 3 hours of THE GOLDEN GIRLS on Sunday... such a great hangover show!)

Mimi & I went out in our neighborhood since we both thought we were going to ditch out on our plans with each other and hadn't come up with anything to do. We went to The Monkey Room on 181st which I thought had the perfect blend of people, considering our neighborhood - the crowd was about 1/3 hispanic, 1/3 white and 1/3 black/questionable (I say questionable because some people from DR are a little misleading in terms of their appearance.)

I was bored as hell when she went to the bathroom and got called over to sit by two guys that she knew - who were friends with her man (which to me is a little sketchy, because I haven't made up my mind about him yet). They both were Rican and looked fine.. but still. So I sat over there and one of them, David, started flirting with me pretty bad - but in a nice way, not a "can-I-holla-at-you-baby" way.

He was cute, despite the fact that he had bling on, so I started feeling it. And when he knew who Doug Mientkiewicz was and how he had gotten traded (from the Twins mid-season last year to the Red Sox for the series win and then to the Mets) he and I were both hooked. So he asked me out, and I agreed, and then he called me on Sunday twice - although I only answered once, because I really wasn't up to flirting the second time and wanted to be at the top of my game.

My mother and I'm sure others are going to voice some concern - and trust me, the little worrywart inside my head is jumping up and down being all like, what are you doing, what are you doing? But he seems OK - he's got a job at an accounting firm in the financial district, and I'm sure to google him. So he's not unemployed.. and he promises he won't wear bling when we go out together. I'm going to fish for information on Thursday regarding education, drug use, etc, etc. And make sure that we go somewhere good for dinner.

But it is interesting - I could end up rebounding on Todd with a Rican with tattoos and muscle and an interest in baseball. That last thing was pretty much the only thing the two of them have in common, if you don't count being attracted to me.

But to be completely honest, the best part about it all was when I hung up my phone after he called me, and said to myself, "I'm back in the game..." because what's great about it is that I'm not looking for another Todd. My mom said yesterday that you learn from every relationship and you do - I don't want to lose touch with my friends again. I want a relationship to SUPPLEMENT what I have, not take over my life. And for treating Todd like that, I'm sorry.

Oh - and another thing? I got a HUGE BOUQUET of flowers from my man, James, in England. Props to him (yes, I'm going to start talking like this the more I hang out with Mimi & David) for cheering me up all weekend with white sweetheart roses, lilies, carnations, and any other white flower you can think of sans daisies. They make my day every time I see them when I go into the living room.

Look to see a lot more blogs from me in the next few days -my boss is going on vacation, and that usually leaves me with some spare time.

No comments: