Friday, June 10, 2005

Um, No Kiddo, It was THURSDAY...... and

Today is FRIDAY, I'm almost done with work, and I have a story to tell.

So.... Just when I was complaining that I never see celebrities...

Last night, I dragged myself out to a party in the Meatpacking District at a place called Are (pronounced "air" - how pretentious is that?). My roommate Jackie is interning at an up-and-coming women's magazine that's trying to gear towards trendy, fashionable NY career women.

I get there and there's a huge line and red carpet. That was EXACTLY what I had been dreading... so I called Jackie. The owner let me in all by my little self because I was talking to Jackie and made myself seem important - or like an intern, I'm not sure which.

In a Great Ego Moment, I got past EVERYONE, including who we later found out was a football player for the Jets (All I knew was Really Huge Black Man) and got led in past the paparazzi (yes... there was paparazzi) and went in. We were trolling for celebrities when alas, Jackie says "that's the guy from trading spaces!" and I turn around and look....

About four drinks and a sucky VIP room later (which we got into because Jackie hustled him) I went out to get a drink. I went to the bar but they weren't serving at our end (they started a fashion show on top of the bar a few minutes later which explained why not) and I was talking to this random guy about the bar etc when I bumped into...

DOUG WILSON from TRADING SPACES! (www.douglaswilsonltd.com)

I had seen him earlier, and appropriately gawked then, but this time I excused myself and shook his hand and introduced myself. We exchanged cards and talked about books.. and I said that he was my mom's favorite designer on the show (even though I didn't know for sure) and that she had got the idea for redecorating the kids rooms after we flew the coop from one of his ideas (also not wholly true... I think it was actually one of Jen's ideas..) and I happened to mention Wisconsin, and he and I had a hearty discussion about Illinois and Wisconsin and how much we both dislike Chicago... We talked for about 15 minutes...he was very nice.. in fact, much warmer than most celebrities have to be.
And now he's sending me a proposal next week for a book! How great is that? I'm probably being a little too optimistic, but this could be a good turning point for my career......


And I am SOO going to more parties like this.

I also forgot to mention that at BEA, I met Bill Maher and Nick Hornby (ABOUT A BOY and HIGH FIDELITY, anyone?) at their signings.

Nick Hornby was really cool - he's one of my favorite authors. I told him about a paper I wrote about one of his books, and he was intrigued about it, and I talked to him for a few minutes as well.

And if you ask me how they look: Bill Maher doesn't look as OLD as he does on TV.... Nick Hornby is bald or shaves his head, something I never knew, and Doug is hot! (although also very gray haired.... and still very very sexually ambigious. Gay, straight? Who knows?)

I have to get back to my fantastic life now. It's almost quitting time (1pm on Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day) and I have to nurse this hangover from free vodka (one of the sponsors of the party) before Todd comes over this afternoon. (He has been working TONS of overtime, so this is his first real half-day Friday and he wants to PARTTTEE... or at least what HE considers partying.)

I just want to lay on the couch........................................
But I'm going to get off my ass. Again.